Thursday, August 12, 2010

Working on being here for 24 hours...

Disclaimer:  This is geared toward family and friends who are suddenly shocked by the lack of texts and phone calls from me i.e. people who actually care about what I am doing.  It may got long winded and boring....but now you were warned!

I was warned by most people who had even heard of Naples that I would hate it.  The smell of the trash, the slum-like houses in which people are accustomed to living in, the incessant flies, and the driving.  All these warnings were as flashing lights in my mind as I got on the plane in Norfolk on Tuesday night.  And despite my fears that I would have to empty contents of my suitcase in the check in line at the airport to make weight, I escaped that mortification and made the 140 lbs limit with 11 lbs to spare.  As most of you know, I am worrier, and worried about the suitcases from start to finish as well as my seat on the plane as I boarded the MAC flight to Naples.  Instead, I had a business class seat on the aisle, was fed two meals (that slightly resembled mashed dog poop) and slept the majority of the flight.  


And guess what?  My suitcases were the first two off and because my flight was early and my sponsor wasn't there yet, I lugged that 129 lbs of glorious luggage to wait for my sponsor outside.  You know how in Audrey Hepburn movies she arrives early and looks fashionably chic as she awaits her ride holding a small dog in her arms?  Well, imagine the opposite and you have me.  I won't lie, the 129 lbs made me a little sweaty and after being in the air for 13 hours, sweaty and gross, and my hair was anything but cute.  My disheveled self was collected by my sponsor and that's when I realized all those things I had been warned about were true.  Except I don't hate it.  How can someone hate it when cars drive on the line just because they can, and they merge into you to prove a point?  As my friend Courtney puts it, "it's survival of the fittest out here, baby."   And the trash?  That's no lie.


But after the initial check in at the Navy Lodge occurred, and my suitcases were in my room, I was finally able to relax.  That is until I realized that a piece of the ceiling had fallen down outside my bathroom, the TV screen doesn't work, and oh that piece of ceiling?  That was a heralding of a broken AC.  These things have since been fixed but I thought, dang, Norfolk practically kicked me in the butt when I left and Naples is already asserting its dominance on me.  


Today was the introduction to the Hospital where yes, one nurse is on duty at a time in the ER.  They like their autonomy here, I'm thinking.  My friend Courtney is married to William's friend David and they have lived out here since June and she has been my savior.  She picked me up and got a tour of the Naval Bases under my belt.  Last night was the first taste of Pizze Margherita in 8 years and it was delicious....and the red wine was even better.  Courtney showed me the area and while my feet are still a little unsteady in this new place, it looks like with the help of friends like Courtney this is going to be a fantastic time.


And I already worked out in the gym.  It's like two feet from the Lodge.  Sweet!

5 comments:

  1. You nailed it on the head girl - the sudden lack of texting ability is sad. Sounds like you landed in the right place though - stinky trash and greasy Italians! :) Okay I just finished talking to you, and I'm gonna go get a webcam like a good girl. :) MISS YOU!!! See you soon!! -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all boring, Maura, but well told. We'll be checking in on you. Not creepily.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Maura, regardless of whether you enjoy this tour, we WILL enjoy your blog. Our prayers are with you as you settle (and your ma). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doll, you are already in the spell of Napoli! Your first blog spot is so lyrical; maybe you will write your own version of Under the Tuscan Sun. Ti amo,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the part about the red wine :-)

    ReplyDelete