Friday, August 13, 2010

Orientation

I hate to lead people astray when I write these and have them think I have actually done anything cool.  


Well, I haven't just yet.


I rolled into orientation this morning with all the hope and trepidation one can expect for a single girl walking into the unknown.  I realized I was out of my element when I was surrounded by families and what appeared two single enlisted guys.  I had already asked if any other nurses were checking in, and when I was told that I was it, I knew I was in for a treat.


After spending 8 hours deciphering what pertained to me, and what pertained to the spouse and children I don't have, I came to the conclusion that single people check in would last about ten minutes.  I gotta say, I am happy I don't have any kids.  And particularly happy that the phantom children I don't have cannot drive.  I spent many hours sitting confused, and many more wishing that I had a cell phone to text people things like "dude, this sucks."  As William says, I am the fastest draw in Norfolk when it comes to whipping out the cell phone.  I can text like a FIEND.  Like an amputee victim, I still feel the phantom vibrations of the texts I am not receiving.  


And I kind of miss Starbucks.  I know, I know, you gasp as I am surrounded by red wine and cappuccino.  But that stuff is strong!  And I kind of like froo froo girly drinks that they "claim" have coffee in them.  But whatever.  Listen to me whine when I am just frustrated I am trapped to the Navy Lodge. For goodness sakes, I am in the land of sunshine and the Pope, I mean, for real no joke.  He lives like an hour and a half away.


Well, the real adventure begins this weekend.  Courtney and David are once again allowing me to mooch off their kindness and showing me the beauty of the area vs. The Naval Support Site.  More to come with much more exciting things accomplished!







1 comment:

  1. Cafe con leche (I can never remember the Italian equivalent) will be your best friend over there. Believe. Me.

    ReplyDelete