Sunday, August 7, 2011

Musings on deployment.

When I first thought I would be deployed to Kuwait, everyone who had been here before told me that it was no big deal; as far as deployments go, it is easy.  There is a pool, and a gym, and little taco bell huts....even a Starbucks hut.  I was a little nervous because, even though these people told me not to worry, it was the fear of the unknown that kept me completely stressed for three months before I left for deployment.

Then I arrived in Fort Jackson, SC, where they told me that my complacency would lead to my death.  They told me the second I felt safe, the enemy would prey on me and those complacent soldiers and sailors around me.  I clung to the Army training, making sure I methodically approached each situation as if an IED was one step away.  While I thought a lot of the Army training was a little redundant, I was almost confused why they were scaring me and making me petrified to come even to Kuwait. 

And when I first arrived, I did my IED checks every time I exited a vehicle.  I assessed each situation from the second I got off the plane to even walking to the gym on Camp Virginia.  Here it is, three weeks later, and I am already wearing my flip flops to church across the street.  How quickly we get comfortable in our new surroundings.

The whole point of this is that I was very scared before I deployed, and in reality, I am in the safest deployment area I could be in.  Those men who died yesterday were in the real danger, and while I know they were never complacent, they did give their lives for all Americans in this fight against terrorism.  I owe it to them to never become complacent but to be ever vigilant...not only here while forward deployed, but also in honoring my country and the ideals that they died for.  I pray for their souls and their families, who lost husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers.  I am proud to serve my country but even more proud to be deployed and to be of any help. 

Americans back home are concerned about the budget deal, and the politicians are having temper tantrums back and forth between parties, slinging mud at each and becoming engrossed in arguments to either make or break their respective campaigns.  I wish some of them would take a step back and not focus on the politics for one second, but instead focus on the individual soldier or sailor, willing to give their life for their home and the safety of their loved ones.  God bless every American service member, and the sacrifice of their families.  I am honored to say I am in the military, but I am even more proud to be in the company of those with whom I serve.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of you, Maura!! I agree with your thoughts on this subject and with we could snap Washington back into reality. I hope you are learning a lot and seeing a lot and taking care of yourself. Please let me know if you need anything at all! I love and miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete